Thursday, August 11, 2005

Year Three

I read an article yesterday about the possible elimination of the 3rd year of law school. I think law school used to be two years many years ago, and was bumped up to three. Now, many people believe that the 3rd year is just intended to make money for the schools. The article included comments by 1 student who said she only studied 15 hrs/week her 3rd year, and spent the rest of the time drinking and traveling (hopefully not in that order). She already had a job locked down, so her motivation was gone.

I am about to start my 3rd year, on Tuesday, and I already have a job locked down as well. However, I don't think my 3rd year will be quite as laid back as that girl's!! I will be doing a clinic in a Prosecutor's office, which will take 12-15 hours/week. In addition to that, I will be taking 4 classes in the afternoon. Among those is Trial Practice and an ethics class. Both of which are incredible important. Sure, I could have taken those things last year, if there was no 3rd year. But that would have meant giving up other classes, like Con Law, Federal Tax, or Trusts & Estates...also very important classes.

I have to say, I support keeping the 3rd year. The 1st two years are so stressful. There is a LOT of competition: Mock Trial, Moot Court, Law Review, Jobs, etc. It's almost as if there is no time for pure learning. I am so looking forward to just focusing on my classes. I think I will probably learn more this year than the other two combined. Plus, it gives me the chance to have hands-on experience in a clinic...and that is invaluable.

Being a lawyer is a difficult and important jobs. I know a lot of people say they hate lawyers, but truthfully, like with members of Congress, people tend to trust their own lawyers completely. When people have problems, they ask their lawyers. People feel safe in the attorney-client privilege, and most people trust what they are told. It is very important that lawyers are well trained. I know that there are lawyers who are corrupt and/or stupid...but hopefully they are in the minority. Keeping the 3rd year, it seems to me, will aid in the quality of lawyers. It gives us another year to learn, another year to decide what kind of lawyers we want to be, and another year to develop with our classmates. Frankly, I don't feel ready to represent anyone yet. My future clients will be glad that I stayed in school the extra year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they cut out the third year, they'd have to award something other than a J.D., which is already sort of academically controversial in that one can get a "doctorate" after a three year program and without writting a dissertation. LLMs should be called doctorates and JDs should be called master degrees.

CJ said...

Woo hoo! Go Tiffany! Totaly quoting what I say before I have even said it!! LOL You are so my hero. Especially now that you feed me!!

Anonymous said...

Guess what? You probably won't feel competent to represent someone for several years after law school, either. Just FYI.

Signed--
2 years into practice