Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Fallen Star

So, the media is pretty shocked about this whole astronaut-gone-crazy story. In case you are living under a rock, click here for the story. It's so funny to me that people think just because someone is smart they are the picture of mental health. Ted Bundy, anyone? H. H. Holmes? There are countless stories of highly intelligent, fully-functioning sociopaths. So why don't we realize that mental illness can happen to anyone? And, honestly, an astronaut seems like a pretty likely candidate - I mean that is a pretty high stress job, don't you think? I think that you have to be a little "off" to begin with to take jobs like that - anyone who can handle that kind of commitment scares me. ;-) But, for real, in this case it just seems like she snapped. Like she had some sort of psychological fugue or dissociative episode. The media is simply drooling to find some record of long term psychosis, but I doubt they will. I don't think she's been writing letters to her alter personalities for years and hiding them in a crawl space in her basement. I really think this was simply a spontaneous mental collapse. Or, maybe they will find a physical cause, like a tumor or something. All that space travel could have caused problems. Then they can turn it into an epsiode of House. Surely, it will be on Law & Order soon!

No comments: