Saturday, October 04, 2008

The First Week

Well, I survived! It was actually a pretty good few days, with one major exception: my IT guy. Okay, so here's the story: on my first day they tell me that I need a blackberry. I already have one. They say the office can give me one, but it's an older model and I can only have 450 minutes per month for "personal use", plus I won't have internet or navigation or any of the other perks that I get with my sprint plan. So I said, no, I will just keep my own BB and pay for my own plan and use it for work and personal. She says that is fine, she will send the IT guy over to set up my BB with their system. So, he comes over, plugs my device into the computer, does some stuff and says "all set." Great. I go to lunch. At around 3 I try to call K. My BB won't let me make calls. It says "emergency calls only." I can, however, send texts. So I text K and ask him to call me. He does and it goes right to voicemail. So I can't receive calls either. Great. 

So, I call the IT guy. After several emails back & forth he decides that the only way to fix it is to completely reprogram my BB, which he can't do until the next morning. So I will have no cell phone that night. Yeah, I'm pissed. He says "well, if you enter your password incorrectly 10 times, the BB will wipe itself out and you can make phone calls, but you will lose any emails or pix you have saved. I say, fine, I don't care as long as I can call people! So, I do as instructed. Not only does it not fix the phone call problem, now I can't send texts either! GRRRRRR! So, I call my mom from my work phone and tell her I have no cell and I will call her when I get home, and I head home. Admittedly, seriously pissed off.

So, the next day the IT guy comes to my office and makes several attempts to get my phone to work. Apparently he can get it to receive emails from my work address but he can't get it to send emails. He won't let me try anything, and decides it is sprint's fault. He says there is no way to get around whatever sprint did to the phone, and so I can't use my BB for work. To be honest, I don't believe him, so I am gonna go to the sprint store today. In the meantime I have 2 BBs. The work one is AWFUL. It is really old and I have no idea how to use it. The other day I got an email on it and when I tried to read it, it called the person who sent it. Then it said "press esc to end call", only there is no "esc" button!!! Grr. So I am just really annoyed with all of that.

In addition to that, we have a REALLY old version of internet explorer. So I ask IT guy if I can upgrade and he says "No, because of our intranet. But I can give you mozilla." Whatevs. Fine, I'll take Mozilla. So he downloads that and says to me "you need to remember that we are the biggest firm in the world, so upgrades take time." WHAT???? Shouldn't it take LESS time since we are the biggest firm in the world? How hard is it to keep up with new browsers? The explorer is so old, it doesn't even have tabs! Ugh. I really can't stand this guy. 

But other than him, everyone is very nice and it was a good week. I have 2 cases that I am working on. Neither of them are too exciting, but I'm glad to have cases that feel manageable. My office is nice, and there are lots of perks to the job. So, I think it will be okay. The indefiniteness of my stay here still makes me nervous. But who knows, maybe in two years it will feel like home to me. 

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

YAY! I'm glad that you had a good first week except for the weird IT guy. I hope that this week is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, thanks for all the dish! :) I'm glad it went well. New job nervousness will be over quickly and I'm sure you'll succeed!

IT guys are so bizarre! I think it stems from getting screamed at every time a single piece of technology does something it's not supposed to do, which is constantly. (My company's poor IT guy is great and still gets so much undeserved shit, so I have some sympathy for the job.) Besides, Crack(berry) is wack! ;)

CJ said...

Thanks ladies! I'm glad you read my ramblings!!