Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Broken Hearts

I just watched the "Inside The Actor's Studio" interview with Michael J. Fox on Bravo. It made me so sad I couldn't believe it. When I was growing up, I was a highly emotional & sensitive person, and so I bonded with everything around me in that growing-up-melo-dramatic kind of way that girls do when they are kids. This bonding extended to certain celebrities that were popular at the time (like Corey Feldman, see my previous post on "Friendships"). Well, Michael J. Fox is one person that I've always felt attached to. I feel like I grew up with him. I know, it's a sickness, get over it.

But, it really breaks my heart to see him sick. (For those living under a rock, he has Parkinson's). It's so hard to watch him struggling with his body in that way. It's like he is constantly battling himself. He's very brave about it, and not at all a complainer, but it looks horribly painful. It just makes me so sad to see him looking so old and tired and sick, it absolutely breaks my heart.

I'm sure this has something to do with the loss of my own youth, and the realization of my own mortality or something like that, but all I know is the heaviness I felt while I watched it. (Even more so than when Corey divorced his parents!) But seriously, it really is awful. Especially because, in his face, he looks basically the same as he always has...he still looks like Marty McFly and Alex P. Keaton and Scott Howard....but he looks like he's been beat up or something.

I don't know what the point of this post is. I'm just sad so I decided to write about it. That's all.

No comments: