Wednesday, November 02, 2005

House of Horrors

A girl at my sister's school went to a "haunted house" this weekend. It was held at a church and simply advertised as a typical haunted house. The girl went with a friend of hers who belonged to the church. This is what she witnessed:

TVs showing video of women having abortions, with a recording in the background of babies screaming. Clearly, meant to imply that the fetuses being aborted were actually screaming babies being murdered. At the end of this maze of TVs was a baby doll with a vacuum attached to its head.

So, this is what I am wondering. Clearly the people who created this display are anti-abortion and think that abortion is cruel and gruesome. However, they also think that it is not gruesome enough when presented on its own, they felt they had to enhance it with the sounds of screaming babies and a doll with a vacuum attached to its head, if they were going to get their message across and dissuade people from supporting abortion and/or choice. And, so this is what I envision: People who want to scare others with gruesome depictions of abortions, watch the real videotapes and decide "Gee, this isn't as horrid as I thought. We need to make it look worse or people won't be shocked enough!" rather than deciding "Gee, this isn't as horrid as I thought. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I should learn more about this topic before I make a decision and start espousing that opinion in public." Oh no wait, that would have been a rational line of thought. I forget that human beings are no longer capable of rational thought, only extreme hate and delusion. Doh!

My sister was wondering why a group of people who claim to be out to save children would expose unsuspecting children to these traumatic images under the guise of a traditional haunted house? Is it really necessary? Especially when they are falsifying the sound effects and essentially lying to these kids about a medical procedure.

Well, that's all for tonite.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a documentary done a few years ago called "Hell House" about a Pentacostal church in Texas. If it wasn't true, it would have been one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

CJ said...

Wow! Tiffany is soooo smart!!! Well, up north, churches are simply buildings that are often used for unholy purposes like Bingo, Dances, and regular old haunted houses. How sheltered am I?

Jax Peach said...

Um, I have lived in many different places in Georgia, throughout my 27 years, and I have NEVER been to a Vaccuum Baby Head Haunted House. Maybe it's just because I know how to STAY AWAY FROM SUCH CRAZIES!!

Signed--
The Sane Native Georgia Contingent

Seriously, though, that is F-ED UP! And seriously, one should never stray too far from the Atlanta-Athens Metro Area.

Jax Peach said...

CJ, I'm not in Georgia anymore. . .recently moved to Jacksonville, FL. Are you in Athens? And you know Ann for working last summer, right?