Saturday, November 08, 2008

My President Is Black!!

Yeah, I know, I'm a few days late with the election commentary, but I didn't want to do a half-assed job on it.

Truly, I am so amazed and relieved with the results of the presidential election. I am shocked that there were enough smart, brave Americans to vote a black man named Barack Obama into the white house. I really thought our country was too ignorant to do it. My biggest hope is that this election has shown all the people who never vote that they should, that they can make a difference. We can keep the old ignorant self-serving white men down - we just have to make an effort.

I hope that Obama is kept safe and that he does a great job over the next 4, and hopefully 8, years. I hope this is the beginning of an American Renaissance. I hope our nation is made stronger, smarter and more tolerant. I hope we get some amazing federal judges over the next 4 years. I hope our education and healthcare systems are improved. I don't care if my taxes go up, if it means my quality of life and level of freedom go up as well.

My sister saw a sign that said "Rosa sat so Martin could march so Barack could run so our children can fly." It brought her to tears. I have to say, I think it's a nice sentiment. Of course, there are millions of other names that belong in there, but the point is the same. Our nation is progressing. Racism is not gone though - not by a long shot. Hate is still everywhere and we have a long way to go.

Which brings me to what DID make me cry the day after the election: the gay marriage bans. Yes ladies and gentlemen, gay is the new black. There was a time in this country when interracial marriage was illegal. That was shameful. So is this. There is no difference. These bans passed because of hatred and ignorance. How could the same brave, smart Americans that voted for Obama vote for these bans as well? I will never understand. In Florida, the ban passing just maintained the status quo for gay couples - except that it may have prohibited public employees from getting domestic partner benefits. But regardless of the legal effects, it is the social effect that makes these bans so devastating. When will people realize that intelligence and hate never go together? As a society we always outgrow these sanctions eventually - why do the same dance with every minority group? You may not be gay, you may not understand gay people, just like you didn't understand how a white woman could be attracted to a black man. But don't interfere with their lives just because you don't get it. Mind your own damn business. You don't mind if I marry an axe murderer or a drunk or charlie manson. You don't care if I get married in a chapel in vegas wearing sequined pasties. You don't care if I marry a rapist or even someone I've never met before. But I can't marry a woman??? How much freakin' sense does that make?

As much as Obama's victory filled up my heart with happiness and pride, the passing of the gay marriage bans broke my heart. I wonder how long it will take for the next minority to take the place of gay people - and I wonder what that group will be. You should too - you may be in it.

No comments: