Thursday, November 20, 2008

Your Own Backyard

I got an email today from a co-worker who just got back from her honeymoon. I asked her where she went and she said:

"Cancun, Mexico! Beautiful beaches and great weather... hard to come back!"

Seriously??? You live in Tampa!! It was hard to come back to more beaches and great weather?? I have never understood why anyone would spend money on mexican beaches anyway, let alone when you live on the same damn body of water!!

Obviously I get that when you are not on vacation you are busy with work, etc. and don't get time to go to the beaches as often as you like. But, if you are going to take a vacation to a beach, why spend all that money when you have beaches right here?? Just take a week off of a work and skip the airline hassle, the peso conversion chart and the possible montezuma's revenge!! You can even speak spanish all week if you want to!! Am I crazy here??

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

The water is so beautiful in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, though! Plus, the peso has fallen against the dollar this year, so things are even cheaper than they would have been.

Although I do agree with you that if you live on the Gulf, it's hard to see why the beaches are the big attraction. Why not the ruins? To me, that's the real reason to go to the Yucatan!

Anonymous said...

mexico is beautiful. the water is beautiful. beachy vacations are the best. that and the fact that its a vacation. it's not home, therefore automatically makes it better, haha.

CJ said...

I guess I am just a home-body. I have no desire to go to far away places when there is so much right here to see and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I'm a homebody too, but at least if you're going to go through the hassle and expense of traveling, see something different!