Friday, November 21, 2008

Reasons for Hate

It never ceases to amaze me how creative hateful people are. They are constantly think up new "logical" reasons for their hateful stances. Today I refer to the anti-gays.

When I was in law school I was the Vice President of our LGBT organization. We hosted a debate on gay marriage. Our goal was to have a civilized intelligent debate by well-credentialed people on both sides of the issue. We succeeded and it went quite well. While we were planning it I was really looking forward to hearing what the other side would say. The debators were both well-known attorneys. One was a law professor and one was in private practice. I honestly wanted to see what the anti-gay argument would be. I assumed that I would learn something, that there would be some well-reasoned argument on the other side that I hadn't heard yet. I was wrong. Dead wrong. This man stood in front of our group and gave the same stupid reasons every ignorant redneck gives: it threatens the sanctity of marriage. Who will do the dishes? Who leads when you dance? Etc, etc. Just a bunch of crap.

Well, apparently enough people have discovered that these reasons are crap, so now the anti-gays have a new reason: if we let gays get married they will teach gay in our schools!! Our kids will be taught about same-sex relationships! They may even become tolerant of them!! GASP!! Well, don't worry your pretty little heads all you anti-gays. I am sure it will take generations before any of your lineage learns tolerance. Just like you are so proud that we finally have a "colored" president, maybe your great-grandkids will some day talk about how nice it is that the fags down the street had a little wedding for themselves. But fear not, I am sure you will be dead long before such "tolerance" touches your family tree.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ITA completely. Why shouldn't they teach about being gay in schools? It's EDUCATION, not brainwashing! We fear the unknown the most.