Saturday, May 07, 2005

World Wide Web

In the past 2 days, as I have been recovering from an Income Tax exam that could be accurately compared to impermissible torture, I taught myself how to use iTunes, and I have made my 1st 2 CDs!! It was very exciting indeed.

I got 20 free songs with the points I've earned through Lexis Nexis, so I had to be careful in choosing my music. I tried to recall music that I have been looking for and couldn't find, or songs that I like but wouldn't be willing to buy a whole album for, etc.

So, I began with the old stand-by: Vanilla Ice (which is out of print). Yes, I love him and I always will, so just accept it and move on. I chose a Maroon 5 song, a couple Hoobastanks, and a few songs from Tarantino soundtracks. Then I decided to go on a hunt.

I've been looking for 2 songs that I have heard on West Wing episodes: the one playing when Simon, CJ's secret service agent, is killed and the one playing when Zoey is kidnapped. I had NO idea who sang them or what they were called. I had looked everywhere I could think to find them with no success (the credits of the show, the DVDs, record stores for the soundtrack, the NBC website, etc.)

Well, yesterday I Googled "West Wing Songs" and I found a website that lists all the songs played on all the episodes of the West Wing, along with synopsis of the episodes, quotes, pictures, and lots more! I was shocked. So I downloaded the 2 I wanted and while doing so discovered 2 iMixes on iTunes that were compilations of songs from the West Wing!

So, what this all made me realize is that no matter what I want to know, ever about anything, there is at least one person out there completely obsessed with that exact topic! They have researched and compiled and created a website that they diligently maintain so that one day, when someone like me needs a random tidbit of info, it's out there to be found. It's just so amazing to me. I mean, I know I keep this site, but it requires minimal effort and its basically because its an easy way to keep in touch with my long distance friends. But these people are amazing! They seek out crazy tidbits and dedicate themselves to something really obscure, and I'm glad they do because there are all kinds of times when I need that crazy info! But truly, I'm glad none of them live next door to me!

By far, the wackiest site I've seen so far, my sister told me about today. It is: www.wwujd.com
Yes, you guessed it "What Would Uncle Jesse Do" How great is that? You must go visit it and be careful because I almost wet myself! LOL (Reed should check out Uncle Jesse's family tree, it will explain once & for all how & where life began!)

By the way, the 2 songs are "Hallelujiah" by Jeff Buckley and "Angel" by Mezzanine. You should give them a listen too. They give me chills!

And, randomly, you should all rent & watch some stand up by Eddie Izzard. It'll just make you a happier person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What did we do before the world wide web? I look everything up online! It's the best!