Wednesday, November 14, 2007

And You Thought Soap Fans Were Nuts....

The new Ikea opened in Orlando today at 9am. The 1st 100 customers got a free chair, the next 2400 were given envelopes that may contain giftcards up to $250. People started getting in line on Sunday night. Today is WEDNESDAY! They brought tents and sleeping bags and camped out on the sidewalk - just to shop at Ikea! So, the news is full of stories about these crazy people, but this one, from the Orlando Sentinel, is my favorite so far:

Then there are Susan Perry, 51, and her boyfriend Edward Shay, 47. They were numbers 2 and 3 in line, having driven down from Leesburg for a dresser Susan wanted.
They ended up not buying it, since it didn't fit in their trunk. Instead, they grabbed a small cat house for $4.95 from the AS IS area, then headed to the in-store restaurant for hot dogs.
"The hot dogs are wonderful," Susan said. "At 50 cents each, I couldn't believe it."
Susan, happy with her purchase and meal, had no doubts when asked if the wait was worth it. "Absolutely," she said.


Are you kidding me??? They drove down here, camped out for 3 days and didn't even know if the goddamned thing would fit in their trunk???? They do have a website, ya know. Complete with measurements. And then they spent 5 bucks and got excited about 50 cent hot dogs! What is wrong with these people??? And how on EARTH does a brand new store already have an "As Is" section???? I am just baffled.

So, for all of you who think I'm crazy for waiting in line to meet Michael Knight & David Canary...at least I didn't camp out for 2 days to shop at a store that isn't going anywhere! Even if the "free chair" was worth $500 (which I doubt) - 2 whole days of my life is NOT worth that! Good grief. What a world.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Wow. The closest IKEA to me is in the DC metro area, which is fine because I'm not really wild about them.

Maybe they couldn't fit the dresser in their trunk b/c of their free chairs? I hoping that is it and not that these people are complete idiots, but you know I doubt I am right.