Friday, November 02, 2007

Hotlanta??

Not so much. First of all: it is COLD! I know, I'm spoiled...actually it was only really cold in the morning, but still. Ya know, whenever I visit places I used to live I get this pang of "maybe I should move back here." But it usually goes away. In Buffalo, if it's winter, it goes away in about 30 seconds. Buffalo in the summer takes about 3 or 4 days. Atlanta took about 12 hours. Some parts of this city are GORGEOUS. Amazing huge houses with lots of trees, and in the fall it is especially nice to look at. Plus, there is a lot to see and do, and good food. But driving here is a nightmare! Not only is the traffic bad, the streets are small, there is always construction and I am ALWAYS lost! Even when I think I am in familiar terrain, I end up lost. There are no landmarks (i.e. large bodies of water) and no matter where you go there is a Peachtree St and a sign to 285...well 285 is a loop, so knowing which direction it's in is NOT helpful. Plus, streets change names all the time, with little or no notice. It is just plain obnoxious. This morning on my way to my friend J's house I almost got killed by 2 cars cutting across three lanes of traffic in opposite directions with me in the middle. My heart was pounding for like 30 minutes. Then I missed a turn because there was no street sign on the road I needed to turn on - not "I didn't see the street sign" it actually wasn't there! Then I got superduper lost on my way back to the hotel. Not to mention the gridlock on the downtown connector. But alas, I finally made it to my hotel, parked my car and walked to dinner! Phew. Now I am ready for a good night's rest before I go get lost again tomorrow.

I miss my home. ;-)

No comments: