Monday, December 17, 2007

Ch@mberm@id

The title of this post is the (redacted) title of a book I am reading. It's written by a girl who clerked for a federal appellate judge in Philly. The book is based on her experiences as a clerk, but is admittedly somewhat exaggerated to be more humorous.

Essentially, it's a bitch fest. 269 pages of complaining. The feeling of it reminds me of the book Matilda, and if this book were to be made into a movie, I would imagine it would look like that movie did. Except it would be horrendously boring and trite.

Clearly, this girl just didn't understand reality. She claims to have been snowed by the law school machine that convinced her that clerking for a judge, any judge, would be the most fantastically wonderful thing ever. Apparently she had no idea that judges are people too and some of them assholes, and if you get hired by one of the assholes it won't be much fun. Clerking involves VERY tight quarters, there is no escaping or avoiding your judge. But most of us take the risk of 1 or 2 years with an asshole so that we can learn a lot and improve our resumes before becoming an advocate.

In the book, the main character is often told by her judge that she is stupid & her work is low quality. Now, I'm not saying that any judge SHOULD say those things to her clerk, but after reading this book, maybe those things were true! This girl went to NYU for law school, which is a pretty good school, but her writing is pretty immature and it's obvious that she had very little common sense. It's odd that part of this book is about working on a death penalty case, but even the gravity of that situation does not seem to demonstrate to the this woman that things in her world aren't so bad. You have a mean & unreasonable boss. Poor baby. Your feelings are hurt. Awwww. I mean, COME ON!

Now, it's true that I got lucky. My judge is the awesomest boss EVER. But I knew when I was interviewing, and even when I accepted this offer, that he could be a lunatic. I knew these 2 years might suck. I just figured I would deal with it. No matter what, I would be okay. It's only a bad boss. It's not cancer. I wasn't going to be homeless. I know that my next job may suck. I may hate my bosses and have no friends. I may even cry. But I promise not to write a memoir about how the law school machine tricked me into some god awful version of pergatory. My commitment is eighteen months. I will do my job, earn my paycheck, look at palm trees and sleep in my comfy bed. It's not the end of the world. Maybe someone should show this whiny bitch what misery REALLY is. Any suggestions???

1 comment:

TheRealDookie said...

What is also terrible is that a ton of people idolize this slut for "being so brave" and coming forward against "the system" to raise all of this "awareness" about the "problem." (I love the sardonic quotation marks). Really, there is no problem -- judges are already under more scrutiny than in any other time in our history and, as you artfully put it, are people too, and strangely or not, they sometimes behave like other people in a supervisor position.

I seriously doubt this girl's job was hell, but even if it was, welcome to a life in the law. As for showing this "author" what misery really is, I'm sure NAPGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl can think of lots of colorful suggestions, but how about simply making her work for a living?