Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Treasure Hunting

One of the best parts of packing up my life is finding stuff I forgot I had. Pictures, letters, all kinds of things! Today I found an essay I wrote. I think it may have been an early draft of my law school admissions essay. It's not complete, and I don't think it even remotely resembles the essay I ended up with. But, I did find a phrase in there, that I wrote, and that I find to be quite quotable:

"I have to live my life like I am going to live forever, I only have to love like I am going to die tomorrow."

Nice, right? I like it! And it really is true. Living like you will die tomorrow sounds fun, but it's incredibly irresponsible. And if you don't die tomorrow, the fun (and the money) run out fast. This is the lesson I learned when I was 20 years old. That I had to prepare for the future, because it would give me the freedom to enjoy today. It may sound obvious, but to me it was an important discovery. It meant I started protecting my body, my reputation and my money. And look how well that worked for me??!!

I really like most of this essay draft, so I think I will keep it! Put it in my memory box...which is quickly turning in to many many memory boxes!!

No comments: