Sunday, March 04, 2007

Don't Trust Anything That Bleeds For 5 Days & Doesn't Die...

Fourteen years ago yesterday I "became a woman." That's what they call it, I guess. I was 10 days shy of turning 13, and 7 months past my rape. I think, I was already a woman....and, yet, I had so far to go. I remember that day very clearly. I was in seventh grade and, at the end of the school day, as I was getting my stuff out of my blue locker in the D-wing, I felt something. I thought to myself "Am I bleeding?" But I didn't want to miss the bus, so I thought I would check when I got home. Believe it or not - I totally forgot about it. I probably got a phone call, did some homework and ate dinner. Then, as I was getting ready to take a shower I remembered and checked - I was actually pretty excited. I went downstairs to tell my mom, but she was watching Seinfeld. She was laughing so hard & telling me to hold on & watch what George was doing...she had NO idea! Finally, I was like "MOM!!! I got my period!" It was so funny. She jumped off the couch and hugged me, and said "Oh my god! I'm out of pads!!" LOL So, she ran upstairs, put her coat on over her nightgown and some shoes and told my dad she had to go to the store, and she was off! It was a pretty comical occurrence, to be honest. I mean, I didn't really NEED her to have told my father, but it was okay. He bought me earrings the next day and we all went out for dinner at Red Lobster to celebrate. It was right before my birthday so I had two celebrations in a row pretty much. It was cool. Little did I know that I would spend the majority of the rest of my life trying to bribr doctors to give me a hysterectomy! LOL So, anyway, in 10 days I will be twenty-seven...and most days I feel like a little girl playing dress up, pretending to be a grown-up and hoping I won't get caught!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL that's so cute! I got my period October 15, 1992. It was the same day I had a mole removed from my neck. I found some pads in the gym locker room at Heim, and I didn't tell my mom. She came and asked me a few days later when she found blood on my underwear doing laundry. It was totally mortifying. I wish I had had such a sweet experience like you did! :) (((cj)))