Thursday, May 03, 2007

For Today: A Moment of Silence

One of the Magistrate Judges that works in my building passed away last night. He was only 52. The whole building feels heavy with sadness today. His clerks and assistant are in tears. It is awful news. He was an exceptionally nice man, and will be missed by everyone here. When I found out, this morning at about 10am, I felt frozen. He had surgery in June to remove a tumor on his pancreas. He chose to have a new, experimental surgery, that would require removal of only part of his pancreas and none of his intestine. Unfortunately, it seems that complications from this surgery are what caused his death. We all knew he was not well, but we never expected this. Everyone is in shock and feeling very useless. My friend B and I went downstairs to check on his staff, but there is nothing we can do to make them feel any better. One of his clerks was crying while staring into his office, which has an eerie feeling to it now. He sent his chambers an email at 7pm last night to tell them he was feeling better. By 2am he was gone. I can't imagine how they must feel. I went to lunch with my Judge today, we tried to talk about normal things, but you can't help but be destracted by the loss.

Hugs to everyone I love. I miss you all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to (finally) hear about this. It is so hard to comprehend when someone dies so suddenly, with so much unfinishedness. Hugs to you, too.