Sunday, May 20, 2007

Monkey Monkey Monkey!!!!

I drove 1170 miles between Thursday at 3 p.m. and Saturday at 11 p.m., and I got to spend two fabulous days with two fabulous monkeys! It was a great weekend. I drove 400 miles Thursday night and then got a hotel. Friday morning I drove the rest of the way to J’s new house. My car did something really strange on the way there and I got a bit nervous (it like half slipped into neutral on its own, so that the RPMs were high but I had no speed – on the interstate! No fun.), but it got better. I made it to J’s neighborhood without getting lost, which AMAZED me because it is so in the middle of nowhere! LOL I got there early, and she had work to do so I didn’t want to barge in. Instead I drove around to check the place out. Not bad, she has everything she could need around the corner. T@rget, St@rbucks, every food chain you can think of. So, you all know I felt right at home! I also found this adorable little park right down the street from her. I parked the car and took some pics. It was a very pretty park & would be a great place for a monkey adventure and picnic! Finally, it was time to see J. We had a fabulous day. Talked so much I almost lost my voice! She gave me the tour of her new house, we went to lunch, and I took lots of pics. She looks wonderful and seems so happy. Her house is very nice and they have done SO much work on it. New paint, floors, even countertops! Her hubby even built a room in the basement for the cats. The house was in pretty bad shape when they moved in – less than 2 months ago. I can’t believe how great it looks now! They are so brave to take all that on! I told J that it looks very classy, which apparently is what she was going for so that made her happy. I left her house at about 6:30, and held back tears as I hugged her goodbye.

Then, it was off to T’s graduation! I drove to my hotel, checked in & then decided to go back to my old hometown for some good food. Luckily, T wasn’t doing anything so her and her hubby, R, met me for a VERY late dinner! We laughed a lot and had a good time, it was great to see them again. I can’t believe it’s been a whole year! The next morning I woke up early, checked out of the hotel & went to the graduation. I got there early so I decided to grab some St@rbucks. I walked downtown, got myself an orange mocha (yum!) and a little snack, and as I walked out the door I missed the step and had my 1st fall of the day! LOL Luckily, no casualties. I spilled a bit of my drink, but not on me or my clothes. Phew. All in all I tripped 5 times that day, but didn’t do any damage. Par for the course in my life! The graduation was great. The weather was a little chilly in the morning but warmed up nicely. T looked gorgeous and I am so proud of her! I also got to see one of my favorite professors, 2 of my 4 mentees, and one of my great friends from law school. I sat with T’s family, and they were all so sweet and welcoming to me. It was great to meet her grandparents, aunts and cousins. They all came out for lunch afterwards – 25 people total! It was amazing to me to see such a big group of family together, at one table, and no fighting! We had a fabulous lunch, and T got some very nice presents. But it was all over too soon & time for me to go back home. I drove 8 hours straight home, and was exhausted when I got here. But it was worth it. I went straight to bed, but got up early today to run errands, do laundry, and work on my death penalty case. Now, I’m pretty tired again so I think I will go to bed early tonight!

But, I am so glad that I got to see 2 of my monkeys this weekend! I miss them so much, but it makes me feel better to see them happy and doing well. I am so proud of both of them! Now, it’s their turn to come to Florida!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you came to see me! It was wonderful to see you, and my family all talked about what a good friend you are. Love your pictures. All our stuff is inside our townhouse now, but I think tomorrow I am going to throw at least a third outside and burn it. Too much stuff! I can't wait to come to visit you, but it will have to be after August. :(