Sunday, December 11, 2005

"Post Secret"

Okay, so I will admit that I am a bit out of touch with pop culture, I think it's a side effect of law school, so this may not be new to anyone else, but it was to me! I just went to this website for the 1st time because it is linked to a friend's blog. I found it bizarre. Here's the link:

http://postsecret.blogspot.com/

The site posts one-sided anonymous postcards that people mail in (snail-mail) with their "secrets" written on them. The site list requirements for the cards, one of which is that, whatever secret you write on the card, it has to be something you haven't shared with anyone before. My 1st thought: I can't think of ANYTHING that I haven't told somebody! I mean, maybe little trivial things, like the last time I broke a nail or stubbed my toe, but nothing big. I guess that's because I talk too much. My 2nd thought was that people lie...so some of these secrets are not secret and some of them are not true at all. And, after looking at the postcards on the site, they are very involved and detailed artistic works (lots of cutting & pasting going on), which led me to my 3rd thought: how do these many people have this much time on their hands to send a stranger their secrets on mini-art-projects? And wouldn't that time be better spent dealing with whatever issue underlies the secret, etc.?? Most of the secrets are about sex or abuse or anger, only 1 was a happy secret.

One that was posted today is a picture of birth control pills that says "I throw every other one down the sink." I found this secret just ridiculous! Why take any pills at all if you are only going to take half of them? What a moron! What a waste of money and pills! Seriously, why do you do this? Do you want to get pregnant? Just don't take them at all! Are you taking them to hide from your sex-partner that you want to be pregnant? Then you are a sick f*ck and you should not be having children. Or is this your little game with fate "If I'm meant to have a baby it will just happen"?? Again, see the sick f*ck sentence! And why would you put this on an anonymous postcard & mail it in? Instead, you should spend your time in therapy.

Anyway, just my 2 cents & random vent on the absolute horror that is the human race.

2 comments:

Livemalls said...

As expensive as those suckers are, it's a big waste to throw birth control pills away, for certain.

CJ said...

I was thinking more of the many women in this country who are told by their pharmacists "No, you can't have the pill because it will make God angry" and here is this psycho tossing 'em down the drain! I think, as a service to humanity, someone should just sew her knees together and move on...