Monday, May 01, 2006

Differences

I often hear people say that Americans have more similarities than we have differences. This is supposed to inspire us to set aside our differences and work together for the greater good. But I've never heard anyone tell me what exactly those similarities are. I mean, really what do I have in common with a right-winger? Citizenship and species?? Maybe race and gender?? Honestly, I can't think of much else.

And are those commonalities really enough to make me get along with a person whose beliefs, morals, priorities, and interests are so different than my own? Even if they were, should I even try? Is it really so admirable to play nice with the enemy? I'm not sure about that. I mean, I'm a fighter, always have been. And I think it's good...I think passion and conviction are good. I think it's better that I fight to change someone's mind than that I try my best to get along with them and swallow my convictions.

Anyway...no real point to this. Just something I was thinking about & I wanted to ramble!

No comments: