Saturday, July 08, 2006

Paging Dr. Banks...

So, I was up late last night and I happened upon the Tyra Banks show. Yeah, I know. But she was talking to teens about sex, so I had to watch. Personally, I am fascinated and perplexed by this country's recent abstinence campaign. Between the time I graduated & my sister started high school, our school district implemented the "abstinence only model" for sex education - which, if you ask me is like the fat free version of a funnel cake, but I digress.

Anyhoo, so I'm watching the Tyra Banks show and Tyra is asking all these teenagers about their sex lives. (She's no Phil McGraw, I'll tell you that much!) A few were virgins, but the majority had been incredibly active. One boy said he got his 1st blow job when he was 10 (does it even work when they're that young??). Now, you all know that I was one of those early bloomers so I am not at all shocked by the general trend. Tyra, however, must have been way too busy nursing her addiction to laxatives when she was a teenager because the entire idea of teen sex seemed to absolutely shock her.

The funniest thing was how she kept saying "when I was a kid" or "in my day" as if she's like 80 fuckin' years old, ya know? Of course the kids' parents were in the audience, shocked by what their kids were revealing. I think it's so funny that all these adults that are telling these kids how their decisions are so irresponsible and can have long lasting effects, are the same adults that signed the kids up and provided transportation for them to air all of their dirtiest secrets on national television. None of these kids will ever be President now.

At the end of the show Tyra discussed how technology is adding a disturbing new aspect to teen sex - apparently, teens are videotaping their sex. Tyra says "In my day, we had cameras, but nobody did that!" Sure Tyra, nobody was videotaping sex when you were a teenager - that's an entirely new concept. Welcome to the 21st Century ya dumb cunt. Sorry, was that out loud?

Honestly, the 1st intelligent thing anybody said on the entire fucking show was in the last 30 seconds. The father of one kid who admitted to having 2 sex partners stood up and said that he lost his virginity at an even younger age and all he cared about was whether his son was using protection. FINALLY!!!! Somebody talks about the REAL risks. Sure pregnancy and bad reputations suck - but AIDS fucking kills. Those kids would know that if the government allowed them to get educated in school!! Grrrr. Luckily, they have good ol' Tyra to light the way for them. Honestly, what would we do without models-turned-reality-show-m.c.s-turned-talk-show-hosts?? I shudder at the thought.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They instituted abstinence-only in Williamsville?! This angers me greatly.

Anonymous said...

Grr. I don't know about Williamsville CSD being hurting for money though...wealthy area.

CJ said...

I know. I was incredibly pissed when I heard about that North fell into the abstinence only black hole. I'd be interested to see how much federal money we actually do get. But probably it's just Krone who thinks AIDS can't penetrate the Willy-ville bubble. Did you hear that the power went out during his final graduation speech?? It's almsot enough to make me believe in a god...or at least the power of my own voodoo!!

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing that people who think they know so much about sex and condemn abstinence-only education apparently don't know that the AIDS virus is small enough to pass through the pores of a condom--meaning that condoms don't really protect against HIV.

The abstinence-only advocates understand that, which is why they advocate what they do. After all, nobody ever died of abstinence.

So who are the stupid ones?