Saturday, December 09, 2006

Lights In The Sky

I saw the shuttle launch tonite. It was pretty cool. I drove out to the Indian River. It felt like 4th of July (except FREEZING!!!!) because everyone was on the lawn, lined up, on blankets & with folding chairs, with snacks and stuff. Cars were parked up & down the road for miles. Everyone looking up at the sky. Literally, hundreds of people. I paid $10 to park right at the corner of Route 50 and Route 1 and walked across the street to stand on the riverbank.

With about 3 minutes to go I could see like sparks sort or emanating from the launch spot. But when the shuttle launched it lit up the WHOLE sky like it was daytime. There was a lot of smoke and all. The cool thing was how long it took the sound from the launchpad to get out to us. The shuttle was already way up in the sky when we heard the rumble. Very cool. After the brightness faded, all you see is what looks like a huge glow stick floating up into the sky. Then, I guess the rockets come off and start to fall back to earth. It was definitely cool, and I'm glad I got to see it once. But I don't think I'd do it again unless I was taking someone with me who had never seen it before, ya know?

The best surprise of the night was on the way home, I could see the fireworks going off at the theme parks...it was so perfect, ya know? I could see two distinct shows. But from so far away I dont know which parks they were from....but it was still beautiful.

So, I'm pretty proud of myself for going out there tonite. And I'm pretty tired now, so I am going to bed. Goodnite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat! I wish I were there.
--Tiffany

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome! I think it's great that people still go out to see it. Space travel is really insane.