Sunday, March 16, 2008

Another Day, Another Documentary

Today, I watched Devil's Playground.

Did you know that Amish people in Florida play shuffleboard??? LOVE it. I didn't even know we had Amish people in Florida!!!

It's so strange to me that these people think that things like pride, creativity and individuality are bad things.

I watched this documentary hoping to understand how Amish kids go through Rumspringa - like how do they have places to live and money? I learned some of these things but I also have more questions. A lot of the kids still live at home with their parents...just without all the rules. But the doc said that most Amish kids have cell phones during Rumspringa - how do they charge them? One kid left a message on his parents' answering machine - how do they have one??? I didn't know that Amish people were allowed to work at factories and such - but they are, and they can start working at 13, so that is how they have money at 16. I still don't know how they learn to drive.

What's most sad to me is how these kids are like set up to fail. They are sent out into the world without any education, so that if they decide to stay, they will certainly struggle. They have no experience in dealing with the real world and peer pressure and just everyday society.

No comments: