Sunday, June 17, 2007

Do You Need A Woman To Look After You?

Last night I watched "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" with Julianne Moor & Woody Harrelson. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The major theme was that Woody's character was a drunk who couldn't take care of his ten kids, and his wife, Julianne, was constantly saving the family from ruin and getting no credit. Everytime she saved them from one of his screw-ups he got drunk & mad at her. But she kept doing it, kept saving her family, no matter how thankless the job was, knowing that he would likely screw it up again. Her children appreciated her, but her husband resented her. And through all of it, she actually felt sorry for her husband. She took care of him like he was the eleventh child, and he spent all of his sober hours apologizing to her. It's a classic scenario.

As the movie was ending K called me. He is in NY, visiting family, and the battery on his car is dead. He calls me to tell me and I know he needs money, but he won't ask. So I offer, and he says no. I transfer $100 to his account anyway. I know he will thank me later - he won't be angry or resentful toward me. Although he will be embarassed. And it made me wonder, will men ever stop needing women to save them?

2 comments:

TheRealDookie said...

I don't want a woman shark to look after me, apparently.

You're such a good G/F (though a tad smug about it)!!!!

Anonymous said...

i would have done the same thing you did... boys always need girls to help them out. they'd be lost souls without us... sad but true...