Thursday, April 14, 2005

Movin' On

Today, my reign as President of one of the student organizations at my law school came to an end. We had elections and a whole new set of officers has now been named. I am pleased with all of the selections, I admit I was a bit nervous. The votes were very close and the competition was fierce, which was odd. But in the end, good triumphed and I am satisfied with the result.

Holding this office has been quite a learning and growing experience for me. At times it made me feel on top of the world, at other times it literally brought me to tears. But the best part, by far, has been my friends. I have made some new friends, whom I love, but most importantly, I saw the lengths my old friends would go to to stand by me and support me in such a huge undertaking. My friends dedicated themselves whole-heartedly to MY cause, with very little thought of themselves. I have had a lot of people betray me in my life, in ways you wouldn't believe if I told you. So for these girls, whom I've known less than 2 years to stand up for me and support me so much, is absolutely amazing to me.

I try to tell them how much it has meant to me all the time, but I don't want to lay it on too thick for fear they will think I am a stalker or have some kind of lesbian crush on them! (which, of course, I kind of do! LOL) But truly, those girls are my greatest rewards. There are a lot of people who hold onto their friends from law school for life, and I will tell you I am grabbing onto these girls and never letting go. The funny thing is that they are all from places in the country I probably would never have gone on my own, and this accident of application, acceptance, and enrollment has brought me these fantastic friendships.

So, as I stand down from my position as Commander in Chief, I feel a bittersweet emotion. But mostly, I take with me great lessons about life, myself, and friendship. It was one of the most excellent experiences of my life and I will never forget it. I hope the next President feels the same way in a year.

No comments: