Monday, April 18, 2005

Walking

Yesterday I walked 10 miles!!!! Well, 10.11 miles to be exact. It's strange because I know that 6 months ago if someone had said "it's only a 10 mile walk from here" I would have died laughing at the mere prospect of such a journey. But really, it wasn't so bad! I mean, sure, it wasn't easy. I was sore this morning and I have 2 tiny blisters on my pinky toes, but for the most part I am fine!

It was good for me to remember why I am doing this crazy thing. No, it's not too lose weight (although that is a perk!). I'm doing this to honor my mom's friends who have died from breast cancer. I'm doing it to raise money so my friends don't die from it. And certainly, walking 10 miles, or even the 60 I will walk in the fall, is nothing compared to the chemo, radiation, surgery, and pain that those women went through. So I won't complain after I walk, ever!

I wish that more people would get involved in this, it's not just a charitable endeavor, it is a personal journey. I am so proud of my 10 miles, I can't imagine how proud I will be after 60. It's strange that I am always more proud of my physical achievments than my academic, I think it's because personally I always tried to get out of physical activity.

I always hated gym class, I was fat and slow, and I have congenital hip deformities that make everyday painful, and make it hard to run. But this pain I can handle. And I am mostly proud of my bravery and determination. That for once I didn't say that I can't do something. It really is a great feeling. But still, I know that there are millions suffering from this disease and I can't even hold a candle to their bravery...all I can do is hold out my hand.

To make a donation to my walk, go to: www.tinyurl.com/5gaks Every dollar counts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’ve been in gym class with you… I know how you are!!! Slow maybe… but never fat!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress!!! You are doing a great thing! I’m soooo proud of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Whats next? Training for a marathon?

CJ said...

Okay Miss Smarty Pants with your "no effort academically"!!! Why don't you do some of my studying with all that extra time! LOL Or maybe just clean my house while I am studying!!

CJ said...

Marathons are only 26 miles, those are for whimps!!!