Saturday, April 02, 2005

Righteous Babes

I am a second (almost 3rd) year law student with a BA in Criminal Justice. In the past few years I have spent a lot of time re-inventing myself and learning about what it means to be a healthy, functional, and contributing human being. It has been an interesting journey, away from what I thought was real for over twenty years, into a completely unfamiliar world. One of the biggest changes in my life has been learning to be a leader. Five or six years ago, you could never have convinced me that I would be able to organize anything or lead anyone, today those are my definitive qualities. I am extremely involved in student organizations and charitable ventures, which is overwhelming at times but always rewarding.

This site is named after an album and song by Ani Difranco (thanks for the inspiration babe!) a rock-folk singer from Buffalo, NY who also founded her own recording company: Righteous Babe Records. Ani is an amazing woman and her music is pure poetry. I will clarify (so as to not cause any consumer confusion or trademark dilution!) that this blog has absolutely NO association with Ani or Righteous Babe, other than the fact that I am a huge fan and she is a major inspiration in my life. I have a ritual when I buy a new Ani album (which is quite often as she is the most prolific musical artist I know of)...I always read the lyrics BEFORE I listen to the music. Her words are so beautiful and so perfect that they deserve individual attention. Ani's music is often very political but several years ago (around 1998 I believe) she released an album called Dilate. The album was clearly inspired by her relationship with her new husband and focused more on love and relationships than poltics and social change. The critics were furious and confused...Ani's response "I kinda got destracted..." She's just too cute. Anyway, more recently Ani got divorced and released "Educated Guess"...same topic as Dilate, VASTLY different sentiment! This album I can relate to! The irony (please don't school me on the correct use of the word irony as English Professors did to Alanis, we all got the message) is, that I am also an Alanis Morissette fan, and anyone who has heard her most recent album: So-Called Chaos, can easily hear the inspiration behind it: her new love. My message for Alanis: Listen to Educated Guess, skip the whole "learn your lessons the hard way" thing, dump him now, it will save us all a lot of time!!!

Yes, I am a single gal. I prefer to call myself "anti-sexual." I am of the "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and had it ripped from my hands and torn to shreds" persuasion. And, to save you lots of time, there is no changing my mind. So this certainly will not be a site about sexual relationships. It will be mostly about current events, politics, and the general frustrations and delights of the human existence. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on your first Blog! Keep em comming so as I can poke fun!

Anonymous said...

You are "not a pretty girl"... you are "a beautiful woman"!!! The girls are still under the table with norman!! =o)