Sunday, July 03, 2005

Used Postcards

Well, this has been a great weekend...although completely unproductive! Yesterday Tiffany & I went on an adventure to a small town, about 45 minutes from home, that I had never been to! We went just to wander about and explore. We found beautiful houses and great shops, and chocolate & ice cream! (yes, I said chocolate AND ice cream) LOL

We went into one shop that I can only describe as a "junk store." It had the feel of a VERY small flea market (and smelled like one too). It was a very bizarre shop. They had really old postcards (from as far back as the early 1900s) that had already been written on & mailed! I thought "Who does that? Who buys used postcards?" Well, I did. I found one that was sent from Germany to Buffalo (my home town). The message was written in German & the front of the postcard was written in French! We think the date on the postmark says 1941....but it's a little hard to read over the stamp. That sounds about right though, because that was WWII time. Anyway, it was very cool!

They also had really old photo albums, and most of the postcards were to a woman named Clara in Iowa. I thought it was sad that these people's things ended up in a junk store, that nobody in the family wanted them...maybe there was no family left, but still it is sad.

They also had a lot of artifacts from the civil war era, including slave trade documents & shackles. It was so bizarre. Definitely a place to remember when I have more money!

On a lighter note, I found a purse made out of duct tape!!! It was so cool! I really wanted it, but it was 30 bucks! So, I restrained myself, but I probably should just have bought it. If I'm still regretting it in a week I may go back...

After shopping we walked around and looked at cool old Southern Mansions. One was for sale, and they had these pamphlets out, telling about the house. It was $800,000 and had 5 bedrooms, 3 1/2 bathrooms, and 8 fireplaces!!! Who in the world uses 8 fireplaces?? Especially in the south! I've never heard of such a thing. Tiffany says we can tour those houses at Christmas time, so we are definitely gonna do that!

This morning we did our weekly 6 mile walk at 7am. I really need to get back into shape, this job is making me into a fat blob! I was sweating like it was my job! And my pinky toe blisters have been reactivated! Ouch! When I am done with law school & get a real place of my own, my 1st big purchase will be a treadmill! (My secret anti-fat-blob weapon!) Well, that's all for now!

Intuitionally,
CJ

No comments: