Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Stars & Skid Marks

This moening CBS covered a story in Duluth, GA where a little girl, around 8 yrs old I think, painted a huge American Flag on the street. She did it because she is proud to be an American, and probably thought it would be pretty. And it was pretty. But of course, there were a few old white men with something to say about it.

A few Veterans in Duluth reported her to the town because the flag is not supposed to touch the ground. Can you believe that????? (They also complained that cars were driving over it & that it was becoming weathered.) What's worse, the Veterans won and the little girls has to remove her painting from the street. Until it's gone, a neighbor has taken to BLARING "patriotic" music from his home. I'm pretty sure he's violating the noise ordinance.

At the end of the story Harry Smith said something like "It's a hard lesson she had to learn." Really Harry? And what lesson was that? That old white men are huge pricks with nothing better to do than complain & ruin a little girl's fun?? I think she could have gone a few more years without learning that one.

I really hope that there is a sizable group of Veterans out there getting mad at these assholes for giving Veteran's a bad name.

7 comments:

Mr. Parson said...

No, the flag is not supposed to touch the ground, but this wasn't a flag, it was an image of a flag, so therefore the little girl was fine in that aspect. The cars driving over said image would bother me a little because it is a little close to desecrating the flag, but I wouldn't throw a fit in town hall because of it. Over all I commend the girl and her idea.
As for Harry Smith and the rest of the bunch, that is why I don't watch many news programs anymore. Except for Katie Couric, she's hot, a bad interviewer, but nice to look at anyway.

CJ said...

How can you allow yourself to be offended by people who have no intent to offend you? It seems to speak to an insecurity in ones patriotism.

Mr. Parson said...

I'm not offended at all. I think she did what she thought was right. No offence here...unless you wheren't talking about me...now I really am insecure. I'm going to the corner of my room now...

CJ said...

I thought you were offended by cars driving over the painting?

Anonymous said...

pardon me for barging in, but the cars driving over the flag have no choice. What should they do, find an alternate route? You're missing the point here, it's not the statement of the said cars, it is the statement of the little girl - an honest, proud statement! Our courts took away one of her inallenable rights -the right to self-expression, the right to freedom of speech. If we as a people continue to allow our said elected government body to act in such a way, we say ok, dictate us. What happens to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Postulate that.

CJ said...

You are awesome! You can barge in on my blog anytime!!

BTW: I think the Veteran's were implying that the girl intended the flag to be driven over, or something of that nature, and that is why she is disrespectful. My mom works at a VA hospital & there the Veteran's protested when the hospital used a stars & stripes background on their bulletin boards because it was "obstructing & dishonoring the flag." So the hospital had to take the backgrounds down from the bulletin boards!!! Can you believe THAT!!??

Mr. Parson said...

And that was my point. If the "flag" was placed there with the knowlege of cars driving over it then I wouldn't like it, but it was done by a little girl who probably didn't know any better and as such I have no problem with what she did and am quite happy that she showed some sort of national pride, because we keep hearing how ignorant our children are about their own country lately.