Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Aversion Therapy

So, tonight was the state of the union address. I spent the last 2 days debating with myself about whether or not to watch it. On the one hand, I am a pretty political, opinionated person, so I feel a bit obligated to watch it. On the other hand, I know it's all bullshit. I mean, no matter who the President is, the state of the union is simply a way to try to raise approval ratings. In fact, they traditionally have very little to do with the "state of the union", they are generally forward looking. So, honestly, I knew that if I did watch it would only be so that the Daily Show would make more sense to me tomorrow (and perhaps provide myself with more ammo in my daily W-bashing). And really, I just can't stand hearing that man speak. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. I mean, not only the substance of what he says, but just his halting, ignorant, stunted speech pattern (perhaps the after effects of cocaine use?). It's as if he's constantly baffled by the English language...and this is coming from trailer-park trash! So, I decided not to watch tonight, I opted for Supernatural instead (which frankly wasn't all that good tonight either). I did however, catch the last 5 minutes of the speech and the democratic response. So I did get my daily dose of why the president hates me, and why the democrats need a good bop on the head. (Where's little bunny fu-fu when you need him?) I also got to hear the media tallies of how many times people clapped, who was clapping, how hard they were clapping, if they were standing or sitting, and if their clapping appeared to be primarily left-winged or right-winged. Thank the good lord that somebody is getting paid to count those claps!!! Otherwise I would have no idea how the country is doing right now! Even better, the person who counted how many times the Governor of Virginia said "better way" or some version of it!! Too bad that same person couldn't have given the poor guy a podium and taught him better eyebrow control. Anyway, yeah, so I guess the moral to this story is that the state of this union is so frightening and scary to me, that I'd rather ignore it and watch ghost stories instead.

Goodnight.

No comments: