Sunday, January 01, 2006

2006

And just like that, 2005 is over. I really don't know whether to say it was a good year or a bad year. Personally, it was a great year. I had a fabulous summer job, met great people, made lots of money, went to Disney World with my sis, and got offered another great job for next year. But, for the world as a whole, things aren't lookin' so good. I feel overwhelmed by hatred and fear and ignorance...in so many ways. My whole life I have really loved my country...even as much as I love Canada, I never really wanted to live there for good. Except, in the last 2 years I have really been considering it, and if it weren't for the weather and my love for palm trees, I would be living in Toronto right now. I know things aren't perfect there either, but I feel less afraid to be myself on the streets of Toronto than on the streets of Atlanta or Miami or DC, or even Buffalo. If nothing else, it is a more tolerant place to be.

Anyhoo, I guess I will look at the glass as half-full and say that, in the grand scheme of things, I've had a pretty good 2005. Many people make New Year's resolutions & most people break them. Honestly, I've never done that unless I had to (like for a school project or something). It just seems silly to me, especially because of the high failure rate. But I will say that there are things I plan to do this year.

First, I plan to keep working out at least as much as I had been thru October & November of this year. I really think I am making progress & it feels good. Plus, I really hate seeing pictures of myself right now and I want that to change.

I also plan to change my eating habits. My problem is not quantity, it's quality. I need to learn more about food so that I can eat healthy, whether or not it makes me skinny. I started this change in November, but with winter break intervening it hasn't taken full effect yet.

I also plan to spend as much time with my "Monkeys" as humanly possible before we all move away. I want to take lots of pictures and laugh a lot and make memories. I will miss them all so much.

In May I will be graduating & moving. The summer will be spent studying for the bar, and I will start my job in August. This will be a very busy & very exciting year. Hopefully next new year's day I will be able to say that 2006 was a personal success as well. Good luck to all of you over the next 365 days!!

No comments: