Thursday, August 23, 2007

Am I a Good Witch or a Bad Witch?

I went to Happy Hour today to "celebrate" that 3 clerks are leaving in the next week, one of them being the RD. *tear* I had a good time, but had a few odd encounters. First was that I found out some very disurbing gossip about TF, the guy that my judge has hired to replace me in a year. Specifically, I was told by one of his fellow graduates that he is racist and sexist. The phrases "militant conservative" and "aryan brotherhood" were used. YUCK! I knew this guy was bad news from day one. I'm not sure what I am going to do with this info yet, I'll get back to you.

Anyway, this info led to a conversation with this one guy whose name and rank I can never remember, but who always talks to me like we are old buddies. In this conversation he asked me what I was going to do after my clerkship, he said "I'm assuming something socially responsible." And that just made me cringe. Because, no, probably not. I will probably get a job at a big law firm, and is that SO bad?? He said "So you are debating between selling out and being socially responsible?" I just laughed, but I was really offended. Why can't I do both? Why do I have to be poor in order to be socially responsible? I said that even if I get a job at a firm, I would probably maintain my ties with the innocence project by being on the board or something. But, it just was really offensive to me. I mean, no matter where I work, I will still be me. I will still participate in causes I believe in and represent ideas I believe in. I'm not going to "sell out". But I worked REALLY hard to get where I am, to have these opportunties, and I want to enjoy it. I dunno, I just feel like those judgments are unreasonable, ya know? Especially from this guy who only thinks he knows me.

Whatever. The happy hour was fun and I had a very good day. Tomorrow is my 1st day in my new office! YAY!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Not to mention that many "socially responsible" organizations would not be able to operate as effectively without the financial support of big-firm lawyers.

TheRealDookie said...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Your actions are what counts, not where you work. Being "socially responsible" is more about your mindset and what you do, not where you work. Working someplace "charitable" as a status symbol is just as bad as working someplace "affluent" for the same reasons. I'm glad you know this, and sad the other person doesn't!

Anonymous said...

Your dilemma sounds a bit like the movie "Two Weeks' Notice". Total chick flick, but Sandra Bullock (eco-crunchy lawyer with morals) and Hugh Grant (corporate cad) bicker like no one else! :)

(lwejfmpa: traditional Hugarian clothing article)