Monday, February 04, 2008

Ouch.

I am watching the movie Sicko (Michael Moore). It's giving me a knot in my stomach. My whole life nothing has terrified me more than future illness. I don't ever want to be a sick person, I don't ever want anyone to have to take care of me. Sickness is terrifying enough, but being pushed into the poor house because of sickness just makes me freeze with fear.

What I don't understand is that the things in this movie are not news. The corruption of insurance company has been known for decades. It is killing people. It is destroying lives. How do we let this continue? How do we send trillions of dollars to other countries when this is happening right here?

Personally, I am lucky and have been all my life. I have always had health insurance. But still, when I thought I had appendicitis this summer, it cost me $900 to find out that I didn't. I had to hand over that money then & there. I have no idea what would have happened if I didn't have it. How many people have $900 just sitting around to give to an emergency room cashier? Really, I didn't either, but I figured it out. If my mom had that bill in front of her, unless she swallowed her pride and called me, I don't know what she would do. And that's WITH health insurance. Imagine without.

No comments: