Sunday, February 03, 2008

Tourists = Targets

So I use (read: "am unheathily obsessed with") gasbuddy.com. For those of you who don't know, it's a website that keeps track of gas prices so you can find the cheapest place to get gas in your area. There are sites for many cities all over the country. The way it works is that people report the prices they see in their area & the price reports are deleted every 48 hrs. I live in Orlando. Around here, gas is at about 2.92/gallon. But on gas buddy, the most expensive station reported in the area is selling gas for $4.49/gallon!!! I completely thought that whoever reported this was lying, I mean seriously!! That is just ridiculous! So, today, while I was adventuring about the area with no particular place to go, I dropped by said gas station. And YEP! It's true. $4.49/gallon. The station is right next to the airport. Most certainly it is aimed at tourists who are dropping off rental cars. Little do these people know that gas is cheaper AT disney world! Also, it's about $1.60/gallon cheaper a block down the road. I'm not sure how this station gets away with this. When I stopped there today there were 2 cars at the pumps..one was obviously tourists, the other car I think was involved in a drug deal & not actually buying gas. I guess it's not price gouging because there isn't a shortage right now. But still, I'm just appalled by this. Utterly freakin' ridiculous. I just had to share.

No comments: